Thread: Mini vs. Fiat
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,100
You guys have got to stop comparing the Cooper S to the regular 500. The only comparison that Cooper S should have is the 500 Abarth. Of course a Cooper S is going to make a base 500 feel wheezy and underpowered.
The regular 500 is a well styled and well equipped economy car. The 500 Abarth is a track ready street car that doesn't ride like one.

I have over 4K miles on my Abarth. It's a sublime little vehicle. Extremely well engineered, sounds absolutely bitchin, and is real world fast which is something the numbers never show. There's torque everywhere. I have driven several Cooper S's (turbo variety) and hated them all. Their interiors are awful to my eyes, the torque steer is miserable and the turbo lag was insane. The 500 Abarth has none of these issues. The torque steer annoyed me the most about the Cooper S and the Abarth uses equal length half shafts and a really clever ABS "LSD" system to curb it. They pull straight and hard with very minor twitchyness under WOT. I'm also netting 33 MPG on average in mixed driving in the Abarth, and got 38 on a road trip once. It also rides much better than the Cooper S thanks to well sorted dampers. I mean, neither car is a Caddy, but the Cooper S was brutal on the rough stuff -- the 500 is firm and a little bouncy but you don't feel abused. Then there's the great stereo and automatic climate control. Most spoiled I've ever been in a vehicle.

It's the most fun car I've ever owned, and I have a habit of driving tiny, fun-to-drive cars. I love it and highly reccomend it to anyone looking for something small and fast. My favorite thing about the Abarth is that it does not take itself too seriously. It's raw and ridiculous and makes me laugh outloud to look at it, but it's so great to drive you just don't care.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 07:01 PM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote