View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #24
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
Thanks.

There were a couple guys from your thread that asked about the front end swap. I have a Z490 top tree on this one and it was a direct replacement as far as the steering stem goes, but I was going to try the whole triple tree swap from the YZ490 and report back.

I did a quick comparison when I added the steering stop, but I think the YZ490 might not work on a standard XS. The stems and bearings are almost identicle, but the threads on the YZ490 stem that hold the upper bearing in place are not as high as the XS so I don't think you could get the bearing secured. I haven't tried it with new tapered bearings yet (that would be more final), but still have welding to do and blasting so I don't want to install them right now.

Now, if I can get this XS to go where your XS has been I'll be a happy camper

With all the mods you're doing, it should run ring around my old beasties
Tyre choice has a lot to do with dirt riding - well pretty important on the blacktop too!
So there's not enough length of thread on top of the stem of the YZ?, that's a real bummer, hoping to find a front with easy adaption onto the XS frame, still looking - might start looking @ roadbike frontend options
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote