View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
The Cruiser Thread

This seems to be the most neglected type of motorcycle on this entire forum. That seems strange to me, since cruisers represent about 50% of the motorcycle market, and are so good at so many things, from commuting, to just riding around for the fun of it, to cross country touring. A 750-950 cruiser makes an excellent solo touring bike, if you want a passenger, just get a bigger one. They are the most comfortable bikes made, are easy to put a windshield on, and easy to load down with stuff. You can get as much stuff on a cruiser as you can a purpose built touring bike. The only thing they lack is sportbike handling, and if you have to have that, you want a sportbike.

I have ridden mostly cruisers for the past 36 years, at least mileage wise. I have over half a million miles on them. Most of that has been on interstate highways, but cruisers also make excellent bikes for exploring paved backroads. My current cruiser, an '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, has 77,000 miles on it, all mine. It has been ridden from coast to coast several times. It is not a showpiece, it is dirty, and has quite a few scratches on it, though it is in excellent mechanical condition and has never been crashed. When it wears out, I will buy another cruiser.

Unlike what many seem to think, cruisers are not just for barhopping or cruising up and down main street on Saturday night. They are the most practical, functional bikes out there.

There must be several cruiser owners here, hopefully they will come out and admit to owning one. The way I see it, other than off road, cruisers are the best adventure bikes around. And even the prices are pretty reasonable on most of them, and they come in all sizes and prices, from a 250 Rebel to a 2300cc Triumph Rocket III
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote