View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

The KTM left Oz on a carnet - about $1,100 total cost for that for a year. That expired in August, but I was into countries that don't require a carnet - eg Thailand and Laos... so I let it lapse. Instead of renewing it, I got a $50 Vehicle Import Approval for a returning vehicle.
Sorry to take the thread off topic a little, but you raise an interesting point regarding the carnet Bigfella - specifically, how did you get your carnet deposit refunded without actually having the carnet fully stamped out of each country?

I have used carnets in the past, and the RACV was quite specific about seeing all the stamps before they would issue a release against the deposit amount (100% of the value of the bike).

I am guessing that you must have had the carnet stamped out of Malaysia when you rode across the border into Thailand and then not had the carnet stamped for entry into Thailand. When I crossed that border on my RD350 years ago (36 to be precise) carnets were most definitely required for Thailand.