View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #291
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
You completely missed my point, but yes I understand what you are looking for. Also, the chipset in the Voyager is far more advanced than any 12 year old Garmin.
Good point. Also one would never get a fullfeatured all in one device for such amount of money.
The voyager in my opinion is a perfect design and could very well be used hand in hand with an autorouting device if needed. That's what I do in case I need road guidance.
Several issues (like GPX compatibility and some others) have been resolved with latest firmware releases. Very well done! Usability optimized. Also they brought the awesome tachbar screen which makes me even more lament about the tach reading issue reported by several users. However, to me that is not a showstopper for this great device, it is just something I miss at my high revving WR250R.

Phil

UPDATE
: asking for an updated design in my opinion would definitely mean bringing the smart tablet to the dirtbike by using a rugged design, suitable screen and everything under control of automotive apps for tracking, routing, roadbook, tripmaster, vehicle data, data recording, ... in connection with external switches (tripmaster switch and any other buttons being reachable from handlebar position, connecting all those vehicle sensors), maybe even without a need for wiring all these, just by bluetooth connectivity or whatever. I believe these things are being worked on, and some may already be available, but I did not realize anybody would bring this to dirtbike level as like trail-tech did with the voyager. I am absolutely sure there is a big market for this. It could finally make all that bulky oldstyle roadbook equipment and stuff look totally outdated. I would for instance love a tripmaster/roadbook app letting the rider add his private notes and marks to the roadbook data by just drawing it and/or writing on the touchscreen.
heck... that sounds like a pretty good advanced crowdfunding project :)

flatboarder screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 03:49 AM Reason: See UPDATE on article
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote