View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #100
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Update on how the Zumo 350LM handles routes with many points.

Update on how the Zumo 350LM handles routes with many points:

Rocky TFS was kind enough to send me one of his route files that had 911points, including 464 via points in it, which I named Rocky911pts. I imported it into BaseCamp, ran a re-calc for no particular reason, then pushed it to the 350. After disconnecting the 350 from the PC and powering it up, the following message dialog appeared:

"Rocky911pts has more than 29 via points. Route was split into 16 trips." with an OK button.

So, I said OK and proceeded into the trip planner to view the results. It appeared to have only split it into 13 routes. The 13th route ended at a point which was not all the way to the end of the BaseCamp version I pushed. (Rocky, 2_ELHill2ElkMtnRd 53147 was as far as it got; 53220 is the final point in the BaseCamp version). So, of 911 points, only 838 got in.

So, I thought that perhaps with the addition of this route maybe I had exceeded some limit within the 350, so I deleted the 13 routes, and all of the other routes I had in the unit already, and then pushed Rocky911pts back onto it, to see what would happen.

After disconnecting the 350 from the PC and powering it up, the following message dialog appeared:

"Rocky911pts has more than 29 via points. Route was split into 16 trips." with an OK button. (exact same as before)

So, I said OK and proceeded into the trip planner to view the results. This time, there were only 12 routes! And the last one ended with a destination flag at 2_ELHill2ElkMtnRd 53117 so it got 30 fewer points than the first time I pushed the route to the unit. So, of 911 points, only 808 got in.

What this tells me is that above some unknown number of points, the 350 drops the last X number of points from the last route when it takes one that has too many points and splits it into multiple routes. Further, the number of points dropped can vary.

If I get a chance, I may experiment by deleting points until I find the number of points that always makes it into the unit reliably.

Additionally, even though I am in New England, and the start of the trip was in Arizona, when I selected one of the 12 or 13 and said GO,the 350 routed me to the first point in the route, which is certainly convenient.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote