View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #306
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL-erate View Post
Haven't recently read whole thread so maybe missed something and don't know what your experience there is, but on the dual battery thing: for RV's and some truck setups we use a Battery Isolator. These split the charging so that the main vehicle battery is always fully recharged first, then when it's fully charged the charge output from alternator automatically switches to the auxiliary battery until it's fully charged as well.

This way your primary battery for starting is always ready to work and the charging of auxiliary doesn't rob charging from main. Without these Isolators, in an RV, you can accidently discharge auxiliary, then maybe have some hard starting for the main and next you know everything is dead. So it's good backup protection. Isolators are a little pricey but if you shop around a dual system isn't that bad.

Anyways, nice build!
That's kinda what we were talking about above. When I Google it, I seem to come up with all sorts of things but nothing that seems to fit the bill.

As an experienced user of a battery isolator, would you have a link to a product that you think would work well on a sidecar rig? I'm thinking something smaller and more compact than maybe what you might choose for an RV.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote