View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #4474
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN View Post
I am seriously considering the new DUC but concerned about the ability to ride dirt and gravel. Feedback please. The GS is a big beast off road But it never stopped me from taking the road less traveled. Can the Multi handle forest service roads?
Yes, it can handle forest service roads just fine. I've been on lots of them in the Sierras with mine. With the new TKC 80's in the 120 front/180 rear sizes, it can handle a lot more than that if the rider is willing. Just protect it (crash bars, real hand guards, REAL side cases that can take a beating, etc) and you'll be fine. The MTS12 feels like a big dirt bike compared to my old GS. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the Multi feels loads lighter and less top heavy. You can feel this just by pushing it around in the garage, and it translates directly when out riding it.

As another poster said, really nasty surfaces are where the Multi is less appropriate because 1) the 17" front wheel wants to fall into every little nook and cranny there is, and 2) the wheels are strong, but not invincible, and at > $1k to replace, hitting rocks at speed is unwise. I can't comment on the report of fasteners vibrating loose on corrugated surfaces because it's never happened to me and I've not read of it happening to others, but then few people take their Mutleys on that sort of surface.

Bottom line, if you want an upright sport-touring bike that can handle dirt and gravel roads and can absolutely burn up twisty back roads, the Multi is a fine choice.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote