View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #43
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Step 6 - Get it registered

Having postponed my registration inspection three times due to the delay in delivery, I was booked in again on the Thursday morning.

Got a permit to ride the bike to the inspection. Did some basic checks, only realising that the brake light wasn't working an hour before the inspection.

Inspection went fine until they asked for my 'engineering certification' or some-such thing. I said it didn't need it as it was pre 89, they said "don't think so, will check with the boss". He came out and said yes it did have to have a certificate to say that it complied with the ADR's as at 1988, not the full RAWS certification that post 89 vehicles required.

Heart sank, pipped at the post.

So they signed the paperwork, told me to go to someone nearby who does these inspections, but as I'm going out the boss says "meet me outside for a chat".

He asks a few questions about whether the bike was the same in US as in AUS, whether the lights pointed right or straight ahead etc, and then says "I'll sign it off for you".

Could have kissed him.

So all that shit I've heaped on the folks at Dickson inspection station over the last 5 years, I publicly retract it all now.

Did the paperwork, paid the mucho dollars, and became the new owner of the bike, almost 12 months after putting down the deposit.

So, I'm still not sure what the actual inspection was that they were asking for. I suspect it was just the same 'roadworthy inspection' one does when trying to get a vehicle registered from another state. But could be wrong.

And your state could have totally different rules. I had been assured by several people at the Registry when I was checking this side of the process that the bike did not need any special inspections etc. So check and double-check exactly what they mean.

But all's well that ends well as they say.