View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I have done all the BRP and Skyline Drive on the bike and then last summer did the Trace in the truck. I chose the truck instead of the bike based on a lot of reading about the Trace. There seemed to be way to much to do on the Trace and one would be climbing on and off the bike and gearing up and down all the time. We would be two up, so that compounds it even more. After completion I am glad we did the truck. If you want to just ride, the Trace would be fine. If you want to do the highlights of the Trace, then don't do it on a bike. One inmate already said it seems like there is a historic thing every mile, I tend to agree with that. We found a book in Natchez, MS that describes every single stop on the Trace. It gives you like the top 20 things to see. We stuck to the top 20 and it took us two very long days in the cage and we still didn't really spend the time we wanted at some of the stuff. Unlike the BRP that has some rest stops with food, etc.. along the way, you have to exit the Trace for anything like that. Which is fine because we found some really nice Mom and Pol places for lunch!! The views are right there on the road with you, no real vistas like the BRP, so although awesome in its own way, it has no comparison to the BRP. We did NOLA to Natchez to Tupelo the first day, then Tupelo to Nashville the second.

Heres a link to the guidebook we used
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Natchez-...+trace+parkway

Don't get me wrong, the Trace is way cool, loved the history, but to me its not a trip done on the bike to really see what it has to offer. It would however be a great ride to go from Nashville to Natchez with a couple pre-planned historic visits. The Old Country Store Restaurant in Lorman MS is a must for lunch, IMHO!!!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote