View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #80
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
more carnival, florianopolis, brazil

monday, february 11, 2013

another difficult day of partying as hard and a much as possible. i told manon, our pousada hostess, that i didn't know if i could do another 2 days of this - going out every night until 5am. she looked me in the eye, like a boxing coach in the corner of the ring with a badly-battered fighter. "no fritz, this is carnival," she said. "this is what you have to do." in other words, find another gear, get the job done, i don't want to hear any excuses from you.

brazilian flag, praia jureré, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

and then manon recited the list of all the parties that were going on in the next 24 hours - day parties, sunset parties, all-night parties, street parties, beach parties, parties where all the men dress up like women (i chose not to do this one), parties, parties, parties. and this is why all of us here at pousada jureremirim love manon - she's like a mom in that she makes sure we are all safe, comfortable, well-fed and happy. but she's a mom that wants you to party hard and have the best time that you can have. cheers to you manon!

manon close, pousada jureremirim, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

up at 10am this morning, still feeling the effects of an afternoon churrasco (BBQ), a house pre-party, a Jamiroquai concert, and an all-night dance-your-ass-off party the night before. you have to set your alarm or you will sleep through breakfast, which lasts until 10am. i set my alarm for 9:50am.

my good old friend ivan, his wife and son, and their extended family had me over for a churrasco - no shortage of meat.

ivan the grill master, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

ivan & arthur, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

it's hard to think of very many things that i don't like about brazil, but i think all brazilian will agree with me that there is one thing that really sucks about brazil: impuestos! (taxes and fees). i had a package mailed to ivan's house with about 200.00 worth of stuff - running shoes, a portable computer speaker, a shirt or two, and some small stuff i needed. ivan got a slip saying that i owed an import tax/fee of $553.00 brazilian reais. that's $275.00! ouch. that hurts. obrigado brasil!

impuestos, thank you brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after a 30 minute siesta, it was off to my good friend danielle's house to pre-party for jamiroquai. dani and i also met 10 years ago here in floripa. he now has a little less hair, and two beautiful daughters. they have a flat in jurere, but dani works in sao paulo during the week - commuting back and forth from the mega-city like countless thousand of other brazilians do. sao paulo is a place to work, and according to the brazilian's i've met, not a place to live if you can avoid it.

at daniel's house, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

brazilian ruffles, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after a quick video chat with my good friend preston from portland, it was off to the club. the place was completely packed. i used to work in concert promotion and i'd estimate there were 20,000 people there. it was sardine city. gustavo (a friend of dani's and my compañero for the night) and i opted for more space, and decided to camp out at the after party spot and dance in the fresh air without getting stepped on every 5 seconds.

jamiroquai, music park, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i'm a fanatic for really dark, multi-rhythmic electronic dance music. i can't stand normal club "house" music. the dj in the back party area was my kind of guy. dj juciano rosa was a master of more minimal styles of electronica. i headed right for the front of the dance floor to earn my keep.

dj juciano rosa, pacha club, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i'm a big guy, and some might think a bit old at 36 to go "clubbing" like this. but this white boy earned his place on that dance floor, and eventually a spot up behind the DJ in the VIP backstage area. with so many people staring around trying to pick each other up, i think some people appreciate a man who is there to dance.

backstage VIP, pacha club, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i haven't danced that hard in years. i was completed soaked when i left - for a second nigh in a row. gustavo - thanks for the company. we were a good team out there. valeo, cara. fue show!

gustavo, the party animal, pacha club, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

these guys needed a pep-talk from manon...

too many parties, pacha club, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

today after breakfast i spent the day on the beach with vini, bruna, and another couple from the pousada - mariana and raphael. praia do forte is on the northwest tip of the island, about a 30 minute walk west on jurere beach. it sits underneath an old 15th century fort that used to protect the island in the good ol' days.

vista from fortaleza of praia jureré, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i was busy applying sunscreen all day, trying not to turn into a lobster. i succeeded, except for the top of my left foot is cooked.

chillin' na praia, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

there was a really nice family sitting next to us that we spent some time talking to as well. they asked for the blog address so they could read about my adventure. many people seem to be genuinely interested in following along - seeing where i have been and where i will be going.

i'm not sure, but i think i heard the big guy on the end referred to as "camarão," possibly because of the excellent sun-burn that he had achieved on the beach that day. i will always remember him fondly as 'the big shrimp.'

novos amigos, praia do forte, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 04:57 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote