View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #56
BetaRambo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
20" Notes

Yesterday was my kid's first trials on the 20". She was riding novice for the first time and the sections got set a lot harder than a normal novice trial. She got through it but it was pretty rough.

She made it through 8 sections, three loops on one set of batteries, but it was close. I had it loaded with 4 batteries, each a 6 cell with 5 aH. I put them 2 series and then 2 paralell to get 12s2p 10 aH.

I wired up my Cycle Analyst from her old bike which is a computer for electric vehicles. It has a remote shunt that lets me measure how many aHs we have used without running heavy gauge wire up to the bars. It reported that we had only used 4 aH but the cell voltages were down around 3.8V. This means that either I setup the computer wrong or my batteries are getting old and weak. Either way, one set of 4 batteries got us through the entire day.

The power of this thing is incredible. She spent a lot of time stuck on her way up big rocks. She would grab a handful of throttle and the bike would litteraly jump up the rock. Most times she stayed on it when this happened. One time she didn't. Luckily she has been riding for 7 year now so she bailed off the back and landed on her feet. The bike flew up in the air upside down. I managed to catch it. Lucky me, this bike is light. A one handed grab saved it from getting all scratched up.

I let a few adults ride it. After watching their experience I have worked out the proper script to use when letting an adult try this beast:

1. This thing has no clutch. You don't need one to get the revs up since it has max torque at zero RPM. However, this means that when you loop it (and you will) you have no handy way to shut the power off.
2. You will not beleive the power this thing has. Go very gentle at first while you get the feel for it.
3. When you loop it (see item 1) put both feet down and let the bike wheelie between your legs until you get control.
4. After you are done you can marvel at the fact that I didn't even have it turned all the way up!

The guy who spent the most time on it said it is a "death machine". This of course means that he wants to buy one if he can scrape up the green. Another guy said he was not man enough to ride it. Everyone marvelled at how a 60 pound 9 year old could control the power.

I suspect that I may find that a good percentage of these get sold to adults. The idea of being able to ride on campus, skate parks, and other normally off limits areas is pretty intriguing. Adults do go through the amps a lot faster than kids because of the weight they make it pull. I suspect that for adults a double load of Lipos would be the trick.

One section had a pretty long, off camber hill climb with a few small ledges on the way. She rode it well all three times and had no problem finding traction. She was however, near looping it a few times. I think it is time to work with her on where your weight needs to be in these situations.

I went ahead and ordered a spare rear fender as it is only a matter of time until one of us snaps it, but (knock on wood) we have had no issues with the bike yet.
BetaRambo is offline   Reply With Quote