View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #58
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverboy View Post
I'd suggest skipping Key West on a stock Bonneville. They're stiff and underdamped and buzzy at 80mph (the speed of traffic on Fl freeways) while providing no wind protection. You're talking about an 800mi round trip from Orlando. Go East and West from Orlando on the 2-lane. Explore the beautiful cattle country and orange groves in the middle of the state and the space coast area. Save Key West for a flight into Miami.

As a native Floridian I have to agree, I cant think of a worse ride in my life than Orlando to Key West. I'm starting to hurt all over just thinking about it. Even flying to Miami and then riding to Key West is lame. I suppose if you get your mind right maybe you can find some way to chill and enjoy the ride from Miami to Key West but I've done it and would never do it again on any bike much less Orl to Key West. Instead head towards Homosassa, Crystal River, Dunellon, then to Ocala area and explore the beautiful horse farm areas. Fabulous ranches and believe it or not some rolling hills (i use the word hill loosely). I had a FJR for a while and would head for that area and just wander knowing that the GPS would save me anytime I had enough. Have fun!

SH
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote