View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #357
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
HondaFanatic, everything you say makes sense, and yet, there is something about this CTX700 that really raises my hackles. It is irrational, I know, but it's comforting to know that it's not just me. Somehow, this bike succeeds in threatening many of us who dislike it intensely.

For the record, I was okay with the NC700X, the NT700V, the old Pacific Coast, the VFR1200, and even the DN-01 (it honestly admitted that it was a glorified scooter). I like experimentation! But this bike, this CTX700, I am sorry, but it comes off as a poser of a bike, like it doesn't know what it is, like it's dressed as a woman, but it's actually a man, or something like that. Words fail me.

If I were a police officer, I would arrest the CTX700 for being an imposter. An imposter of what? Of its very own self! Man or machine, you have to proudly be what you are, and that may be where the CTX700 is coming up short for me.

My negative feelings for this abomination of a bike might be primarily due to its visual effect, which somehow succeeds in bringing all the various things that disgust me into one bike, with that exhaust being the absolute worst I've ever seen. Surely, some Honda engineers are sitting around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and laughing: "Ha. Ha. Our marketing department sucks. We were trying to play a practical joke on them by designing the most offensive-looking bike we could imagine--but the crazy bastards actually liked it!!!"

Disclaimer: I like the 700-series engine. I like the fuel economy. I think this engine represents a good, bold idea.
I very much like the NC700X. Great motorcycle for everything onroad riding including lots of riding fun. Much underestimated and lots of weirdo posts about it, that would tell more about the originator than about this bike.
The NC is a perfect sample where new technologies combined would optimize on riding fun, which is not obvious
just looking at the data sheets. But it works out. I would not argue about soul or a strange need for outdated technology. It is perfect how they did it. One could not do any better.

But those new cuisers are a step back with respect to technology. Honda obviously tries to get out money from the new mid class engines without bringing anything new. But: more weight, less features, yesterdays styling.

I am not saying this is a bad motorcycle for those who like that bold oldstyle stuff. Probably a lot of people, do not know. The image above with the red harley on top of the red Honda makes it clear: I would certainly prefer the Honda by far, not only due to the great NC700 engine, should I _ever_ spend a single thought on riding that kind of bike. Which is unlikely. But who knows.

But I refuse to bring this in line with the current NC700 series, although utilizing same engine technology. Maybe the NC series and the CTX series need to be discussed strictly separate. It may be my fault that I mix them up under the impression, people here see it as one kind of bike.

I also regret Honda did not go on with the great idea of bringing an engine like the NC700 and the DCT system to
an even more fun level. I realize the NC700X with its 228kg of weight (DCT version, 218kg without) is the top end of it,
obviously and everything else coming will be even heavier, bulkier, retro style, whatever. This was my first disappointment about the CTX series. Mistaken expectations.
However, those who like that heavy cruiser style for whatever reason will for sure get a very good bike. That is no question to me.

flatboarder screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 06:12 AM
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote