View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #273
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlex View Post
Greetings from So. Ca. I've been following your travels and have a question or two.
What's the average cost per day for a trip like yours, ie: extrapolating for the total costs? I'm a noob to ADV but been riding just locally for many years. I will be retiring next year which will open up the opportunity to do long journies, so starting to figure what's attainable for what I'll have ($) to play with. I'm currently all set up with a newer F800GS having had several other Bmers.... so my equipment is mostly taken care of.
Best regards & safe travels,
-Alex
*Owlex
Hey Alex
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for following along.

The cost thing is a bit difficult as I had a couple of things going on that others wouldn't such as spending some extra time in California on the way down and my wife joining me in Ecuador.

So, adjusting for those two things and not including any preparation costs it looks like I have spent just over $100 per day so far. That would be a bit on the high side for many travelers as many camp when they can or use less expensive hotels/hostels, etc I think you would have to work pretty hard to get costs below $60

I don't have a breakdown of individual costs and they vary a lot from country to country. Largest single cost was shipping me and the bike from Panama to Colombia at about $1300.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote