View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #41
RedRupert OP
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I replaced the rings on my 2004 950, and honed the cylinders with the same type of hone. I also added the crankcase vent valve that did not come on the early bikes. I had no issues with ring seating, and oil consumption is quite low.

However, the picture of your cylinder shows the angle of the cross-hatching is way too shallow. I am a professional auto technician, and have found honing properly takes a while to get the hang of. It appears the you had the hone rpm too high for the frequency of your up and down movement. The ideal angle is 60 degrees between the up and down lines, while yours appears to be about 10 degrees. Hopefully some break-in oil will help seat those rings without another tear-down.
My bike had the crankcase breather valve installed as an official KTM modification back in 2005.

I agree about the angle of the hone marks - my speed was low - should have been around 600 RPM (I used a battery drill) but I accept that I didn't plunge fast enough. However, I hope too shallow is better than too steep - logically it would seem so. Flex-Hone stated 'around 45 degrees' but I would not have known how to get to 45 without more practice, as you've pointed out.

What oil did you use while running-in (break-in)?

Thanks,

Rupert
Kawasaki KLR 650 (1988)
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)

RedRupert screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 05:10 AM
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote