View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #84
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
leaving florianopolis

i survived carnaval. and it's time to get moving again. woke up with willie nelson's "on the road again in my head." did most of my packing last night. i'll be using my spot again, so you can track my progress back across the continent on my spot page.

the last couple of days in floripa were a lot of fun. i might have broke my right foot dancing - a fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone on the outside of your foot is known as a dancers fracture. i only know this, because i broke my left foot dancing at a rooftop party in miami beach 10 years ago. i was dancing with 10 supermodels, and felt rather animated until i heard the snap... one of my favorite stories. no snap this time, but dancing without shoes at a pool party is not always the best idea, even if it seems so at the time.

P12 club pool party, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

me in 20 year i hope, P12 club, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

P12 club dancing, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

eu e una minina, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

before the pool party, i went to a peixada - basically what in english would be a "fish fry". everyone has the same yellow shirts. the girls went to great lengths to customize them into dresses, sexy tops, etc. must be a thriving niche industry for this in floripa, because i know some of those girls didn't do their own work.

peixada do gui, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the last couple of days were full of goodbyes as people leave floripa for their normal lives. lots of good people were met.

eu e as mininas, pousada jureremirim, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

david, eu e manon, pousada jureremirim, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

yesterday was a day of logistics. lubed the bike chain, fixed a broken right front turn signal with rapidfix - EVERYONE should have some of this stuff. amazing. put some oil in the bike, as it was a little low in the tiger's sight window. got the boxes back on. and she's ready to go.

also spent most of the day at the post office, receiving a package from the USA, and sending another one back. i'm now a real ADV rider - i overpacked, realized the overages, and sent them home. i'm 49 kilos lighter now!

thanks to andréa at the post office in central florianopolis! you were a life saver. i had a hard time finding a box, so she was kind enough to help me build one.

andréa, my savior, correios, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

last night i had to have my favorite santa catarina state meal - a moqueca de peixe. it's a fish, shrimp, and other tasty things stew with a base of coconut milk, tomato, fish broth, green peppers and onions. i ate enough for a large family.

moqueca do peixe, toca do jurere, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

and now, on with the riding gear, and on the road to mendoza, argentina to change my tires, my oil, and then head north into the next phase of the adventure - to northern argentina and chile, to bolivia, peru, ecuador and finally columbia. this next three months will be ripe with more off the beaten path adventure and i'm sure it will produce some amazing photos as i'll be back in the andes region again.

chao brasil!

and thanks to my very good friend dave for this appropriate insight into my trip:

Tom Waits' "San Diego Serenade"

I never saw the morning till I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine till you turned out the light
I never saw my home town until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody until I needed the song

I never saw the white line till I was leavin' you behind
I never knew I needed you until I was caught up in a bind
And I never spoke I love you till I cursed you in vain
I never felt my heart strings until I nearly went insane

I never saw the east coast until I moved to the west
I never saw the moonlight till it shone off your breast
I never saw your heart until someone tried to steal, tried to steal it away