View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #34
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Likewise, if I had a dollar for every time someone has told me, "you won't get that big bike through there", only for me to prove them wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
One thing I'm not is naive. I'd be willing to bet I could get as many places on a Honda 90 or ZX-10 as most people could get on their G/S. Remember, not everyone is a Dakar rider, in fact, very, very few even take theirs off the road,
Hit me up if you're ever in the UK. I'd love to film your attempts at some of the hillclimbs I can do on my F800GS on a ZX-10.
Warning: Mine has been the hard way round the Dusk to Dawn Enduro course.

Oh and I have followed Dakar riders on GSAs, plenty of times. I used to struggle to keep them in sight when I was on a G450X. They can get these bikes plenty of places most mere mortals would struggle to get a 400EXC.

The only legitimate reasons I can see for riders of smaller bikes to get pissed off with me trail riding a large bike is if:
A) The pace is fast and the big bike (rider) is repeatedly significantly slowing them down. If I'm on a bigger bike, I make a point of trying to ride with n00bs, or people who are actively out for a 'bimble' as opposed to an unlicenced race; I don't like to be the one holding people up.
B) When the big bike is slowing them down, the rider doesn't have the courtesy to choose to bypass some of the harder sections and meet up with them later, or, if the whole route turns out to be beyond their abilities, to go home. I was out with people on proper dirt bikes in the snow a few weekends ago. It reached a point where it became apparent my bike wasn't going to get over the top of the mountain. I went home and they carried on; everyone was happy.

As to injury? Yes, getting hit by 120KG is preferable to getting hit by 200KG. The thing to remember though is that'll you'll usually be going considerably slower on a big bike. Getting hit by 200KG at 25mph is preferable to getting hit by 120KG at 50mph.

Don't get me wrong, I was wetting myself laughing at the chap on a GSA with knobby tyres, who clearly couldn't ride offroad, struggling to get out of a muddy field at a winter rally last weekend. It's just that we're not all like him.