View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
It's not just a matter of being able to get through the off road sections, but actually having a good time while doing it. I've got both a 12GS and a Suzuki DR350. Both have been to Baja and on many of the same dirt sections. While I can "get through" many of sandy roads on the Beemer, it aint much fun. You're just surviving and hoping for the end. On the DR, I'm having a blast, enjoying the dirt. Big difference.

You know, not only the bikes, but also the loading down of the monsters. Seems we modern adv types can't go anywhere without bringing everything including the kitchen sink. One main thing I've learned in my Baja trips? Pack light! These triple aluminum bag setups, fully loaded plus panniers hanging off the tank, crash bars everywhere( a self fulfilling prophecy?), huge windscreens. I mean it's Baja, how much gear do you need when off the bike. Maybe a pair of swim trunks and flip flops. Keep it light while off road unless you're going to Tierra Del Fuego or some other mega trip.

This was my luggage for a week in Baja. Looks like packing light didn't help much here though. Shoulda had the little bike.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote