View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #85
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 291
praia do rosa, brazil (a change of plan)

thursday, february 14, 2013

florianopolis left something undone. something needed to be resolved before i left brazil. i think it can happen where i am at now.

i was about 70 minutes south of floripa, wondering what the empty feeling was that i carried with me on the moto. the plan was to do as many hours today as possible - 9, 10, 12 - however far i could safely and comfortably go towards argentina. i passed the sign for praia do rosa - garopaba, brazil, two beautiful beaches that i have been hearing about for many years. a part of me was telling me to stop. 5 km later, i went across the divide in the freeway (BR101). i turned around. plans abandoned. beach awaits.

praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

another praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

toward the hills, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i rode into praia do rosa, looking for a pousada. mabye i was missing the scene in punta del diablo, uruguay. i probably needed a vacation after carnaval, to recover from the recovery. i have been here before, but only for 1 day, 10 years ago. i stopped, got a pousada, went to the beach, negotiated to leave a pousada, and then got another better pousada with air conditioning.

a gente boa, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

now i'm at the bar attached to the pousada, watching a soccer game between the porto alegre, brazil team (close by) and curitiba, brazil. the guy who runs this bar says the stadium is for the world cup and the olympics and is only 3 months old. he's very proud of his team, and of his new stadium. being that he runs a pousada/bar in praia do rosa, this is his team. curitiba just scored a goal and he threw something at the tv - a crumpled up napkin i think. but his spirits are up as he is getting another beer.

from the bar at praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

reggae band playing at praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i might stay here through the weekend. i met a reporter from porto alegre on the beach earlier who is here doing a story and we are going to meet later at a party that is being thrown tonight to celebrate - i guess - the end of carnaval.

and this is off-track a bit, but Tabasco® is everywhere in south america. it might be a more powerful symbol of american imperialism than the statue of liberty… think about it… every country - argentina, chile, brazil, uruguay - so far has tabasco! probably in the rest of them too. it's a marginal hot sauce, but i'm still a little bit proud when i see it and more often than not, i use it. it's the only option for hot sauce in the mercado and in restaurants.

said goodbye to manon this morning. she is good stuff and i'l miss her. we both have the same birthday, march 11.

manon e eu, pousada jureremirim, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

curitiba is still up 1-0. i'm hoping for the best for porto alegre.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote