View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
bmwpowere36m3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I won't be riding the bike till it gets warmer... I know vag For now I'm doing some maintenance on the bike.

First, stripped all the plastics, subframe and swingarm and did some major cleaning... a ton of mud and dirt in every crevice. Noticed the left side mount (on main frame) for the subframe was cracked and barely hanging on. So I removed it, cleaned up the welds and re-welded it in place.

Second, went to re-grease the swingarm and linkage and found this mess:

Looks like it wasn't taken care of properly by the PO. Essentially all the bearings were rusted and disintegrated to dust. The bearing bores in both the linkage and swingarm were worn/gouged due to bearing failure. So I got a replacement used swingarm and linkage with low miles and in great condition. Took the replacement parts, stripped/cleaned and lubricated them. Also cleaned and lubricated the spherical bearing in the rear shock and re-charged the nitrogen.

Third, the original chain guide/slider/rollers were beat so I ordered a replacement set off eBay, (Hotfootmoto). Quality and fitment are okay (we'll see how long they last). NOTE: the lower chain roller bearings didn't have any grease, so I packed them.

Finally, cleaned the FCR-MX carb (not finished) and received some nice 7 mm ID fuel line (made in Italy, seller valtermotousa) off eBay.

Still have a few things to do...
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote