View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #280
RexBuck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,007
Feb 7 To Jaen

Got the bike turned around in the crampted quarters Ė had to move some big plants. Then was able to ride it out. Sorry I didnít get t pic Ė thought I did.

Heading out of town and these 3-wheelers swarm around you like the little motos do in Colombia. I think they only have a top speed of 25 or 30 kilometers an hour. Some of them get modded right up. You be riddin in style with this BMF . . .

Most of the little three wheelers are stock. The largest brand I saw represented here were Hondas. And they are all the same color combo.

Stopped to take a pic of the traffic and these two guys rush over, one grabs my camera and his buddy sidles up next to me, take a pic and then they swap places. Ask about my trip, shake my hand and off they go.

Comment here about my first impressions of Peru. The people in rural areas seem noticeably poorer. People on the desert where I donít think it gets cold mostly live in these houses basically made of sticks. This is a smaller one Ė some are a lot larger. Notice however the little solar panel. They aren't completely without civilization.

Having said that, many of the people I have run into so far have been very friendly. Iím getting waved at, honked at and lights flashed at more than any other country. At gas stations, I tend to attract a crowd. Lots of questions about the bike and the trip.

Back to the ride. Pretty straight for the first 150 km except for one little part when we went over the first line of hills. Straight across the desert then all of a sudden some perfect twisties for about 5 minutes then straight again. That was quite the sensation. Actually dragged a peg.

At Olmos, turn onto a different highway and get pulled over by a couple of cops at an impromptu checkpoint. Asks for my documents. Give him the document you receive at the border for the bike and he stood there reading every word of it. I donít think heíd seen one before. Then asked for my license and stared at that for a couple of minutes. Handed it all back to me and waved me on.

Started climbing up into the Andes again. Great twisties. Nice views. A little truck and bus traffic. Then it got a little foggy. Then it got real foggy. Then I shit myself. Came too close to having serious problems. My fault.

Fog got worse and I welcomed a bus and truck to follow in first gear Ė couldnít see anything anyhow. And, I needed to relax. Finally headed down hill and got out of it.

Stopped in a little town for lunch. Had Gallina Guisado. Gallina is an older chicken. Good. A lot of people complain about the local food but I think itís tasty and hearty and really fills you up. 7 soles including a Coke. Little less than $3 (That's pieces of neck in the soup . . . I sure hope they could reuse those)

This lousy picture is a dam to control flooding of Chamaya River to protect some pretty extensive rice farms for miles below it. You can see where the lake was and it was there recently

Got into Jaen and after trying a few places, tracked down Hotel Prims downtown. A bit pricy at 70 soles (little less than $30.) But, HW, WiFi, Parking (although 3 blocks away). Good to go.

Just remembered they have 220v power in Peru. Guess all my stuff is ok cause none of itís fried yet. Even my little power bar that is only rated 120 seems to be fine.

Walking around town, come across this construction project. Pouring concrete. No cement truck, no cement pumper. Just a lot of guys with a mixer, shovels and buckets. Took about 4 guys on the mixing end measuring sand and gravel (rocks - big gravel), two guys bucketed/shoveled concrete into the buckets to be carried and 3 or 4 guys carried the buckets of concrete to where it was dumped down a chute.

RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote