View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #86
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 291
final day, praia do rosa, brazil

saturday, february 16, 2013

i've been listening to this song over and over. here's too all my friends and family - i miss and love you all.

bob marley, "high tide or low tide"

brazilian and bob marley flags, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

praia do rosa has satisfied whatever was missing from florianopolis. fewer people, better beaches, and a more relaxed vibe. i've been able to really chill out here, after a day of adjusting to it. i've enjoyed my time here and i'm happy that i took this detour.

future lady-killers, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

young dudes, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

many umbrellas, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i am fairly certain at this point that i did not fully break my foot. i think i went about as close to doing so as one can. maybe a very small fracture. regardless, after a couple of days of walking on it, the pain seems to be receding, something that did not happen with the other foot. i'm being very cautious walking on it. the worst is the soft sand on the beach, before you get to the wet, hard sand on the shoreline. walking in the soft stuff causes your foot to flex, and that hurts. walking in flip flops - tranquilo. no problem. in my shipment from the USA was a pair of new balance ultralight running shoes. they are worth the 250.00 in brazilian post office fees that i paid. the shoes i brought were too small. so that is good for my feet too.

today, i walked the 5km from the pousada to north praia do rosa (beach), then to the north, north end of the beach where i started a 10km walking trail that leads up over the mountain (left on the photos looking out to sea), and down to the next beach, praia vermelho (red beach). it was work, but it was early and still cool.

view back from hill to praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

looking south, still at praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i needed the exercise to clear my head. i was nervous about the possibly broken foot, not able to run as i usually do to chill out or de-stress. that's a huge thing to loose on the road - exercise is critical, almost more so for your mental health than you physical health.

boundary on hill of praia vermelha, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

at praia vermelho, there was a beautiful swimming hole with fish, eel, star fish, and other critters. there was a strong current running north to south down the very inside of the bay, and so it has carved out a nice underwater refuge at the south end of the beach were i came off the trail. took a dip to cool off. had some other hikers snap a photo.

path down to praia vermelha, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

deep bay with good snorkeling, praia vermelha, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

foreigner on beach, praia vermelha, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after the hike, i came back on the trail to praia do rosa, rented an umbrella and a chair, and spent the whole day napping, going to the water, napping, chatting, going to the water, napping, and getting sunburned. fact: you can get a very nice sunburn even sitting under an umbrella all day. it's the sunlight reflected off the sand that gets you!

cheers!, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

taking a dip, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

more umbrellas because it's after noon, praia do rosa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

it's my last night here, so i'm going to order a pizza at a close-by spot i've scoped out. on the road tomorrow, for real this time.

i'm dreaming in portugues. long epic sagas and i wake up with the dialogue in my head. or maybe i wake up and my brain translates it? they are not all good dreams. they are not all bad.

thinking more about my time here in brazilů i'm repeatedly loosing and finding my voice here, my place here. it's a fragile balance. it can be easy. it can be difficult. i've accepted the back and forth, and it's easier for having acepted it. there are some days where i don't talk to anyone until well into the afternoon. sometimes, just going to a little food-cart to get a snack can be too much work. last night, i was very talkative, outgoing. i hit the streets and chatted with lots of different people. after a couple hours, my brain tired, and i went to sleep early.

i feel like with all this 'stirring of the pot,' i'm condensing something down to it's essence. i'm curious to see how that sauce turns out.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote