View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
Interesting Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I'm an outsider (from California) but have been in contact with Rob G - I run a li'l site about lane splitting as well, sort of a PSA for motorists that it's legal since lots of folks don't know that - just 52% of CA drivers know splitting is legal according to a recent study (PDF).

I've been splitting lanes in CA for over 25 years. Like many folks in California, it's a pretty big part of the reason I ride. I wanted to weigh in on the whole "intent to kill riders" thing. I often hear folks saying this and the reality (from years of experience in super gnarly SF bay area rush hour traffic) is just like all the other stupid shit that motorists do - they're just not paying attention. I know you get the occasional idiot running his mouth on some forum about his standard response is to open his door, but most folks don't think that way and even fewer will actually do it. I can count on my ten fingers the number of times I've thought someone intentionally blocked or otherwise impeded me while splitting over the years. The rest of the time - just not paying attention.
Yup inattention and letting their cars drift around within lane or darting into a small space between cars to advance a few feet is the real hazard to those riding in the space between the cars. No matter the reason, get clipped and it could ruin your day.

What I found interesting was the statement that "many folks in CA" ride motorcycles because they can split traffic [if I read that correctly]? Really? Man, if they buy bikes to run between lanes of slow or stopped cars to save on commute time, well that just doesn't seem too bright, but I could be wrong.

Must admit I split lanes just North of Golden Gate Bridge many decades ago in stopped traffic on a very hot day riding my FJ1200 in a Dakar 3/4 length leather sauna and it felt like I was playing Russian Roulette...even at a much younger age, a wink of wisdom shined through and that was the last time I did it. I got off and headed to the coast for a fun ride North.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote