View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #1497
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust7 View Post
The convention is called GENCON.
It is the largest gaming convention of all kinds of gaming in the entire world to my knowledge.
I Speaking as a 25 year motorcycle riding enthusiast dirt, track and street and a gamer and business owner
relating to gaming.
The costumed people you are referring to are Cosplayers and they certainly are well aware they are wearing costumes most of them are related to anime and Japanese culture cartoons etc but make no mistake about the seriousness, they are dead serious about it. However they do not represent the larger part of the gaming community there its just a small part.
I really like the ride report im about 30 pages in so far but had to stop here because you give sport bike riders a bad name with the bias and stereotyping, you do understand that there is as many if not more wannabee's in sport bike riding as anything else right. You seem like a semi-intelligent dude able to show others kindness and receive it as well, and maybe I did not understand you here, but this sure seemed crappy to me.
I am 6"1" 235 pounds and solid muscle if you saw me walking through Gencon you would never EVER suspect I was there for that, for that matter if you saw me on my Panigale you would wonder how that works, so I am just wondering didnt anyone ever tell you not to judge a book by its cover ?
How do you know all those people are Harley "wannabees", or to put it in perspective for you someone always knows more than you, has more than you, is more tortured than you, can do it better and longer than you and you NEVER know who those people are without taking time to find out.
Maybe I am a little sensitive to this particular thing because I am a gamer, a rider, a husband, a family man, a veteran, a wrestler, a football player an mma fighter and much much more and I dont care for being stereotyped on first inspection...........
I welcome your response.
Just saw this. I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to reply with this kind of a response. Discussing something as sensitive as identity typically narrows perspective and misinterpretation is often the result. I would ask you to reread what I wrote with an open mind. I played a devil's advocate in the beginning, then demonstrates how we ALL participate in a world of make believe. I also provided a formula for analyzing the difference between authenticity and spuriousness. (There are wannabees in EVERY sport or interest group, I concluded with a method of separating the two. My criticism (and it is criticism) was directed at the people who are guilty of inauthentic, self-deceptive behavior, which is very different than someone who alloys their life with imagination in a way that isn't contradictory to their life.) Please, reread what I originally wrote with the above in mind and I think you'll see that we share the same opinion.

I'm tied up right now, but will draft a more thorough response that vindicates what I've said and clarifies my position a little more thoroughly. It's a fascinating topic for me and I've wanted to tie more solidly to Compatibilism, so perhaps this will be my chance. :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote