View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #1508
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
There's a subtle but important difference between someone who has fooled himself (and thinks he's fooled us) by adopting an outer layer that is not in any way backed up by his inner abilities, and someone who consciously puts on that layer in jest, in hopes of achieving what he knows he doesn't or can't have, or to inspire observers to feel those same emotions.
-dan
Good point. I suppose we have 1,2,3,4 types?

1. Authentic - person's estimation of their own abilities matches ‘reality’
2. Inauthentic - person is unaware that their abilities are less than they estimate
3. Imposter - person is aware that they are not who they're trying to pass themselves off as
4. Underestimator - person who underestimates their own abilities and is far more competent than they often seem (or believe themselves to be)

Think of authenticity as a system where feedback is constantly analyzed, then classified, then internalized. Inauthenticity would be when new data is ignored and a person believes what they want to believe instead of what they perceive (a method often used is not avoiding situations where their ‘skills’ are tested).

The blatant imposter knows they are deceiving others, and most likely values the ability to deceive more than whatever it is they’re pretending they are.

The underestimator….well, I’ll talk about that below.

[QUOTE=malibu_dan;20759795]
My humble quibble is that you're coming at this from your point of strength. Your strength is (I believe from following you across the country with your words and pictures) in your confidence in your own ability.
I'll have to politely disagree with you here. I'm anything but confident in my abilities. (Type 4, as described above.) I've tried to overcome my own lack of self-confidence, but I'm unable to internalize accomplishments. My confidence level will always be a flatline because nothing I do registers as having internal value. I struggled with that for years. Positive things I do never make any sort of positive impact on what I felt about myself. So I cultivated fearlessness. It's the 'fuck it' approach...I just stop thinking about things and start doing it. I've circumvented the part of the decision making process that requires confidence.

People everywhere are trapped in the reality of needs and wants. We need shelter, we need food, we need a job... and we want comforts. But that cage we live in keeps us tethered to reality and keeps us from truly experiencing our dreams. So we escape. We fantasize. We pretend. And we hold on to our tether.

I believe the distinction is in how far we go out on the ledge. We as 'manly men' crave adventure. The open road, the warrior who saves the damsel, the ninja who is invincible and deadly, chrome and bandannas. Adventures. Fantasies.
QUOTE]

Very well put.

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 11:17 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote