View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #291
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Feb 9 - 11 Gocta Waterfalls

Thought it would be cool to go see neighboring Gocta Waterfalls. Apparently one of the 5 tallest waterfalls in the world. Should be pretty easy. Get a ride in a bus up, snap some pics and back for a beer. So, who do you think was surprised when it was mentioned on the way out that this was going to involve a two hour hike . . . each way.

They bus us up to this little town of San Pablo where we pay our entrance fee and start hoofing it up the hill.

Spectacular vistas of the mountains and valleys.

You can see the San Pablo hotel and part of the village in the foreground.

They have done a good job of build the trail with large stones. Lots of stairs of varying height. The Geezer knees were complaining by the time we got back.

It was amazing to me to find all the vegetation essentially jungle at over 8000 feet altitude.

At first we caught a glimpse of these falls on the far side of the valley . . . didnít look that spectacular.

Then come around a corner and see the real thing. They were impressive.

Continued hiking and eventually came out at the bottom of the upper falls. They kicked up quite a mist which was quite refreshing in the heat.

Needless to say, I was bagged by the end of this.

I really enjoyed the little town of Chachapoyas. Very pretty. They have about eight blocks as a pedestrian only area which is really nice.

The church at night.

Street sweepers. These ladies seemed to be sweeping in circles but I guess they got the job done.

Pollo a la plancha or grilled chicken

Coconut cookies from a street vendor. Mmmmm.

www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote