Thread: Go Sportsters
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #2211
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
That's good info, and I should slow my roll a bit. My goal with this is something along the lines of what the Japanese bobbers are doing. So a complete tear down.
A quick check of the local mothership shows a '12 with a year left on the warranty for 8900.
Percentage wise quite a bit more, but 20 year newer bike . I think the carbed bike would strip down nicer.
Gary

Yeah, Craigslist is the key to finding deals. I use Searchtempest as a craigslist search engine because you can specify what years you are interested in, price range you want to look at, etc. It also searches all of the different cl listings within your specified search radius so you don't have to think of all the little area lists around you. But as stated earlier, check often and have cash in hand. The really good deals usually don't last long. I've sold 4 bikes on cl recently and they all sold within a few hours of posting my ad. One went to the first caller that called less than 20 min after I posted!

As mentioned, '04 through '06 gets rubber mount with carbs, but for a bobber, the rigid mounts can be done up a little cleaner, lighter, and simpler, IMO, if you don't mind the additional vibration. I'm thinking that my next project bike will be a street tracker based on a late model rigid mount. And carbs are cheaper to tune and IMO simpler to deal with, although for an everyday bike the FI is nice. I was planning on an '06 Roadster for the carb, before my fiance surprised me with my FI '13 48.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote