View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #529
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,808
Thanks for the critique. About the shadows... Everything black in the picture was originally more human skin. This was our first baby, and my wife had found some cool mother-baby photos online that she wanted to try to duplicate. Personally, out of all the pictures we took, this one post-photoshop was my favorite. I had a Konica-Minolta point and shoot back then, so there were all sorts of limitations. Anyway, it was obviously a color picture, but I chopped out the background flesh and converted the picture to B&W. When playing with contrast, saturation, and brightness the "graininess and noise" appeared. Definitely from a lack of sensor abilities and glass as well for that matter.

I had never thought about the dead space on the right side of the image. I looked at the 4x6 file and it helps somewhat, but still some black on that side. Good catch.

Sure thing on the links I don't know how much of this type of thing I will do in the future, but one never knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
That old camera does suffer a good bit in the shadows with noise but the big thing I'd say is this is a good starting point for images using the human form in more of an abstract way. I'll focus mostly on the composition since this was awhile back.

Cropping to 4x6 would help with one issue, you have 1 arm partially cropped, and the other has negative space. You really want to get these equal especially for an image like this where the body is more about the shapes than anything else (at least how I'm viewing it).

The other big thing is just work on angles and positioning, Maybe have the hands in a way that all you see coming out of them are the baby's feet. The little bit of the leg showing on the left side is one thing you should try to avoid. I know babies don't always do what you want but just be patient and have the finger on the shutter...high burst speed selected if possible just in case.

If playing around with the human form like this is a big interest of yours let me know, I'll send you some links about a photographer you should check out.