Thread: R1100GS hack???
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffygs View Post
I have been thinking about hacking my trusty 95 R1100GS. Im not a fabricator, nor a welder so its gonna have to be bolt on. I would like to know if my GS is going to handle it well (tranny, clutch, gearing, suspension), everyone seems to be working with 1150's and 1200's but no 1100's.
I have owned a R1100GS rig for over 6 years now, and I'm very pleased with the set up when it is done right, but you will have to perform some alterations to the bike in order to have a good running and safe sidecar.

Regarding the mechanical components of the bike, I have had to rebuild my transmission, just after hacking the bike (even if ny GS is a 99, so M97 tranny, you have a M94, that are known to be weaker than the upgraded M97). The clutch will take a beating with the new load and weight of a chair. You can reduce the wear by using a FD with a lower gearing, like a 37/11 from a R850R. Then the shocks should be also changed for heavy ones, that will reduce too much rocking in the courves. A use of a sway bar will also help to fight the high gravity center of a GS rig in the twisties.

All these alterations are part of the fun to own a sidecar. Time, with the help of other owner on ADV and builders, like Claude, will guide you through this challeging and so interesting and rewarding process.
twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote