Thread: R1100GS hack???
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
jeffygs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I dont mind the alterations as hacking is my future. I know a new clutch is required, I thought ceramic to prevent wear! any thoughts. as far as the final drive, the only thing wrong with my gs is 1st gear is tall, and I want to keep some of the ability to cruise at 65 and keep some mpg( I like colorado and its 500 miles away). As they say everything you do with a hack will be a compromise and I know, I will have to compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintwin View Post
I have owned a R1100GS rig for over 6 years now, and I'm very pleased with the set up when it is done right, but you will have to perform some alterations to the bike in order to have a good running and safe sidecar.

Regarding the mechanical components of the bike, I have had to rebuild my transmission, just after hacking the bike (even if ny GS is a 99, so M97 tranny, you have a M94, that are known to be weaker than the upgraded M97). The clutch will take a beating with the new load and weight of a chair. You can reduce the wear by using a FD with a lower gearing, like a 37/11 from a R850R. Then the shocks should be also changed for heavy ones, that will reduce too much rocking in the courves. A use of a sway bar will also help to fight the high gravity center of a GS rig in the twisties.

All these alterations are part of the fun to own a sidecar. Time, with the help of other owner on ADV and builders, like Claude, will guide you through this challeging and so interesting and rewarding process.
jeffygs is offline   Reply With Quote