Thread: R1100GS hack???
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
jeffygs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I dont mind the alterations as hacking is my future. I know a new clutch is required, I thought ceramic to prevent wear! any thoughts. as far as the final drive, the only thing wrong with my gs is 1st gear is tall, and I want to keep some of the ability to cruise at 65 and keep some mpg( I like colorado and its 500 miles away). As they say everything you do with a hack will be a compromise and I know, I will have to compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintwin View Post
I have owned a R1100GS rig for over 6 years now, and I'm very pleased with the set up when it is done right, but you will have to perform some alterations to the bike in order to have a good running and safe sidecar.

Regarding the mechanical components of the bike, I have had to rebuild my transmission, just after hacking the bike (even if ny GS is a 99, so M97 tranny, you have a M94, that are known to be weaker than the upgraded M97). The clutch will take a beating with the new load and weight of a chair. You can reduce the wear by using a FD with a lower gearing, like a 37/11 from a R850R. Then the shocks should be also changed for heavy ones, that will reduce too much rocking in the courves. A use of a sway bar will also help to fight the high gravity center of a GS rig in the twisties.

All these alterations are part of the fun to own a sidecar. Time, with the help of other owner on ADV and builders, like Claude, will guide you through this challeging and so interesting and rewarding process.
jeffygs is online now   Reply With Quote