View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #239
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
Hola Chilenos and ADVers,

I have somewhat dropped out of the ADV world for the past couple of years, due to work and diversions. I now find myself with a job in Antarctica at Palmer Station. I worked this particular deal so that I could ship my bike down to Punta Arenas and begin a South American transit.

Unfortunately, now I have the job, but haven't done my research. I am looking for shipping companies to get my crated bike to PA or Santiago. I have a crate builder that specializes in international export, so it will be certified and stamped.

Any recommendations of shops or warehousing that might store my bike for three months, until late October, if necessary?

Will I want offroad tires (bike is a 2009 KLR650) or mainly street tires for long carreterra? When I did Central America, I burned through a few sets of Dunlop 606s, however Metzeler Enduro 4s would have been fine.

Thanks for any recommendations,

Mike
Mike,
If I ma understanding correctly, your plan is to ship your bike to Chile and having there til October. Well, this is not possible, because the TITV (temp. admission ) cannot be given to the owner without being present.
Having the bike shipped way in advance will remain in Customs property and eventually sold or destroyed after very long time. Unless the bike is registered as Chilean.

Best thing to do is , sending the bike before and matching yours and bike arrival in Chile. Usually, shipments takes between 20 -25 days depending on the shipping line and schedule.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote