Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #27583
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,540
First "long" ride of the year coming up this Saturday!

What we don't have in altitude (~ 2900 ft of climbing), we make up for in distance (248 miles). We'll start in Casa Grande and make our way to Gila Bend - a lovely desert oasis and generally speaking, one of the hottest towns in the US in the summer.

From there, we'll go north towards Buckeye and then turn back to the east where we'll skirt Phoenix from west-to-east before heading back down to the lovely town of Casa Grande.

This is roughly 400-km and according to the on-line maps, 248.3 miles. I'll add another mile or so to record an even 250 miles.

Last year, we completed the ride in 19:50 total time of which 16:40 hour was moving. Three hours of rest isn't really a lot but 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there really adds up. Lunch and dinner adds time - we usually stop for a midnight snack too. Heck, after 10 PM, it's hard to ride past a Circle K when they're 20-25-30 miles apart.

I have two goals: finish safely and enjoy the ride. The weather is supposed to be spectacular - highs in the high 70's and lows in the 50's. The moon will be 92% so it'll be a bright night to boot.

BTW, I've said it before... if you can do a hard-ish flat 60-mile ride at 18-20 mph, you can ride just about any brevet - especially this one. Our goal is to pace ourselves at 16-18 mph but in reality, we'll take what the road & weather gives to us. There are some short rollers on the way to Gila Bend and we'll do 25+ through that section 'cause it's a blast!

These take a lot out of you but with regular caloric intake, patience and pace, 250 miles in a day is a lot easier than you think. If you're on a diamond-frame, a superior fit will help - distance rides will accentuate any fit issues or adjustments that aren't perfect.

k7 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:57 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote