View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #42
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
I emailed the Utah DMV (division of motor vehicles) yesterday.

My message:

Greetings.

I live and work in Ontario, Canada.

If I were to rent accommodations, spend 2 or 3 months / year in Utah, returning to Canada for the balance of the year, would I be able to purchase a vehicle in UT, paying taxes if req'd, acquire a UT vehicle license plate, and insure it as a UT vehicle, while using my Ontario driver's license? I would not be able to give up my Ontario driver's license. I'd like to be able to fly in and out, and have a car and a motorcycle there when I arrive.

I cannot afford to own a 2nd home, so the car & motorcycle would be in storage or possibly at a friend's house. Since my rentals would likely vary from year to year, I could get a PO box for mail relating to vehicle ownership and insurance.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Reply:

You can register a vehicle in Utah with a valid Utah address and a valid driver's license. For registration purposes the DMV doesn't care where the driver's license is from as long as it is valid. However, the DMV is a separate agency from the Driver's License Division, and you will need to check with them to see what their requirements are about obtaining a Utah Driver's License. Once you register a vehicle in Utah they may require you to obtain a Utah Driver's License. Their phone number is 1-888-353-4224 or 801-965-4437. Or you can check their website www.publicsafety.utah.gov/dld to see if they have an email contact.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department for further assistance from any of our phone representatives Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824.
Thank you,

Division of Motor Vehicles
Utah State Tax Commission

This morning, I emailed the Driver's License Division. Will post up the response.

jon_l screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:01 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote