View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #67
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Adrian,

A couple of questions, if you will. I'd like to make it clear at the outset that I have no financial involvement in Moto-Racks. Tom is a good guy and an excellent friend, so I am doing this because I want to see his product succeed.

How do you intend to carry the fuel? Are you using those trick fuel bladders that I hear are available down your way? Something else?

Ditto water storage.

Do you already have the GL bag? If you don't, it may be wise to consider the Coyote. The Great Basin is huge. I've done some pretty significant tours with no more than can be held in the Coyote. I'm just saying this because flogging a bike through sand with the equivalent weight and volume of a fat chick is no fun at all. I've seen some great pics of how you roll down there, but if you leave the chain saw, the half-cord of firewood, and Koolie at home, it would cut the load by a touch.

I'm coming up with these figures:

50 liters of fuel @ .76 kg/liter= 38 kilos or 86 lbs. I don't know if that is in addition to what could be carried in the Safari tank. It's more reasonable to assume that you'll be carrying 28 l in the tank and 22 on the racks. I honestly don't think the sub frame will tolerate the larger load. I'm pretty sure that the racks would, but the sub frame isn't a monumentally beefy piece. So let's assume 22 liters of fuel on the back, or 17 kg / 37.4 lbs.

Ten liters of water: 10 kg / 22 lbs. 20 liters water: 20 kg / 44 lbs. Using the smaller number, we're still at 27 kg / or 60 lbs in round figures. Consider 10 - 15 kg for personal gear, port, food. Still a heck of a load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
It will be interesting to see if this will work. Ah port in a bladder, tastes good, sends you to sleep and you can use it as a pillow, cheers
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 08:33 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote