Thread: XR650R Thread!
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #16209
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
See if your buddies see puffs of smoke under hard acceleration, etc.
Buddies? What are those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Make sure to brief yourself on how to check the oil. Sounds stupid I know, but a lot of us started out by over filling our bikes.
Yeah, I had read about that. I think I've got it figured out, but I'm waiting until I get the engine all back together and a new spark plug before I start it so I can change the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That one is worn out and it looks like it wasn't fully tight, close, but not fully...that's why the threads are black.

Check for a stuck open thermostat, it will make the engine run too cool and cause carbon buildup about like that.
Thanks for the tip on the thermostat, I'll check it out. I've read that can be a common problem with these bikes, particularly the earlier ones. I have read of some people just taking the thermostat out, and then making sure it gets a good 5 minute or so warmup before taking off. Any thoughts on that?

I know the best would be to buy a new thermostat, but if we hypothetically pretend that my wife hates motorcycles and the less I have to spend on this one, the happier she'll be--would it be ok to take out a stuck thermostat and just warm the bike up really good before riding it?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote