View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #2486
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
What was your fuel mileage like?

I think the readout said 14.5 mpg. I run on their fuel card , so the only reason I pay attention is to gauge my range for fuel stops. It had a 50-sumthin' gallon tank.

Disclaimer;
My job is to move the equipment around the lower 48 and Canada as needed, I drive a different truck or multiple trucks interstate every week. But this is what I remember.
Details;
This was a new 4500 w/ 7xx miles on it when I picked it up, 17xx when I dropped it off. Mileage might improve w/ break-in.
It had a wide box on the back, but did have the "aero roof" above the cab.
Don't remember the axle ratio, but I think it was the "lower" one. That's what they usually buy.
Highway speeds, 65-70 all the way, but since I was running down the Mississippi Valley on I-55 it was mostly flatlands.
But I do remember it pulling well through the southern Missouri hills before I dropped down into Arkansas.
The 6-speed auto was sweet. Shifted well and at the right time. Didn't hunt, hold too long, or hesitate.

My guess the 3/4-ton w/ the same drivetrain would do 20 mpg. Might be some reviews out there with actual mileage seen on the 3500 standard body diesel van.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote