Thread: Iowa Roll Call
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #3912
QCGoose
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks guys.

The EV is certainly my all-around ride, as it's incredibly comfortable, reliable, and handles far better than anything resembling a cruiser has the right to. Built on the old Tonti frame, though, it's no surprise that it loves the curves. It was my introduction into the world of Guzzis, which would have been the then-new '09 V7 Classic, but with the kinds of riding that I had planned for a more sedate motorcycle to accompany my then-owned '06 ZX6R, the bigger, roomier EV made much more sense and mine basically found me by chance and it couldn't have been more perfect. A match made in Heaven (or in Riverside, IA at Ned's lol).

The 1100 Sport was added last May. I was debating on a new Griso 8V, or an older Spine-framed Guzzi sportbike, and my love (lust?) for the incredibly seductive body of the Daytona/Sport bikes got the better of me. After much searching, and a few that escaped my grasp by the slimmest of margins, a member on WildGuzzi from Acworth, GA made mention that he was looking to sell his mint '97 Sporti (short for 1100 Sport injection) to fund a vintage Guzzi replacement. I was quick to act (probably quicker than I've ever moved for anything) and ensured my name was written all over it. Shortly thereafter, I flew down to Atlanta, got acquainted with the bike and the owner, and had the best 5 days of my life familiarizing myself with the rare stallion along the best (and some most famous) backroads through northern GA, eastern TN and western NC, KY, southern IL, MO, and finally home. I would have loved nothing more than to spend another week or more on that adventure, but my schedule only allowed for the time that I had. I was beyond thankful for that opportunity and the entire trip is still etched in my memory.

Only 1213 fuel-injected Sports were produced in 1997 worldwide, and roughly only 227 were sent to the US. 1997 was also the only year the US saw the upgraded Sport. Of the 227, the color choices were red, black metallic (with a greenish "olive" tint in the flake which looks incredible in the sunlight), and yellow. Red was the biggest shipment, followed by black, and then yellow. According to more than a few sources, only about 40-47 were yellow. This was in '97- who knows how many have been removed from the road since then (museum/collection, which is where my yellow Sport spent the first 13 years of its life, or unfortunately totalled), but some Guzzi gurus say it's extremely likely that I have the only yellow 1100 Sport in Iowa. I must admit it brings a bit of pride in knowing this bike is so rare, but at the same time it puts a few beads of sweat on the ol' forehead once in a while because of that. The gorgeous fiberglass bodywork is, by now, impossible to replace (as far as OEM goes). Unobtanium, if you will. I'm certainly not afraid to put her through her paces, but one can't help but to carry around a little extra bit of worry, ya know?

The CB175 is my first attempt at a restoration. Normally I don't like to work on things too much, especially as deep as a restoration, but I've wanted a smaller vintage bike for a while and stumbled upon the little Honda on Craigslist one night in mid-January.

Admittedly it looked better in the pics than it did in person, but the guy was honest, the engine started right up and he recently rebuilt the carbs. It hadn't been ridden since '84 (my birth year lol), but it's all intact and original (with the exception of the mufflers), and the price was too hard for me to ignore.

My original plan was to just clean up and fix a few things and get it back to riding condition, but as I started to disassemble bits here and there, I kept going and eventually said "Ah, to hell with it" and eventually took everything apart down to the frame lol.

I'm still on the hunt for a few NOS or at least better-condition OEM pieces than some of the damaged pieces I removed, and I've got about half the new hardware bits I want. The plan is to get the frame and all the black (or used to be black) brackets and components blasted and powdercoated, and then with the frame sitting pretty and ready to go, I'll then begin reassembly.

I started out the tear-down at a quick pace, but the project has hit the brakes as my schedule and other events have gotten in the way. With a realistic top speed of about 60-65 MPH, it'll be a fun little backroads and around-town bike when it's finished. I still want a vintage Guzzi though, so it definitely won't be the only gray horse in the stable.

QCGoose screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 08:36 AM
QCGoose is offline   Reply With Quote