View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #2039
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
http://www.cycleworld.com/
This Comparo is not yet posted on line, probably in a few weeks.

The Terra got decidedly mixed reviews in this latest Comparo. CW took a weird mix of bikes and screwed up a number of things (IMHO), but surprisingly even Jimmy Lewis was critical of the Terra. They used this weird survivalist post apocalyptic theme to underscore the whole test.
Nonesense, IMHO.

Bikes tested and how they finished:
1. KLR650
2. KTM 990 Baja
3. Yamaha R1200 Tenere
4. TR650 Terra
5. T800XC Tiger

A few Key quotes:

Jesse Ziegler (Dirt Rider staff writer)
" ... The KLR is really easy to ride off road ... despite rubber covered footpegs, it's really a dirt bike chassis and feels like one".

Editor:
"Not far behind, but much less confidence inspiring, was the Husky."
(refers to ON ROAD behavior)

Jimmy Lewis:
" ... The TR's handling is a bit awkward. The bike has lot of weight on the front wheel and feels unstable at high speed." (Lewis's comment refers to ON ROAD handling, not off road)

Further comments deride the Terra for lack of weather protection and highway capability at speed and short range. They had cold weather and sounds like they'd rather be on Gold Wings than dual sports. The KLR rated high everywhere, a huge surprise to me, having owned one. It out did the Terra every where but in deep sand and more technical rocky tracks.

But remember the theme of this "Comparo" was a sort of ridiculous post apocalyptic theme, with a survivalist tone, IMHO, not a valid way to pick a good dual sport ... but hey, I guess that gets the ratings.

The Terra rated next to last. Here are some final comments:
Just a few more modifications would have vaulted the TR650 into the mix.
"It's a dirtbike wth blinkers and luggage - sort of," said Ziegler. "It was like cheating in the sand and rocks. It's maneurverable and fun and makes a really good dual sport bike, but in this comparison, its on-road shortcomings stood out too much. It's not a survival bike. "

My personal view is that staff need to grow a pair!

In terms the getting through the Mojave (where I've ridden since age 14)
I'd pick the Terra every time. As a RTW bike? Dunno. Loncin motor is still unproven.

The KTM rated high everywhere yet came in 2nd to the KLR because it's high tech nature did not jive with the theme of the comparo. Stupid, IMO.

Anyway, there it is. It is, IMO, a poorly done article of little value. Just thought you guys would need something to reinforce that the press does not always get it right.

Ok, the question to ask is how many Kawasaki ads did you see in this issue?
Bet you there was no husky ads either.

It's bad business to critique your paying clients.
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote