View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #69
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Same can be said for ANY vehicle and trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Sorry Spanky but that is not the way forums work. You have your opinion... I have mine. Neither negates the other. Yes it is up to the rider doing the pulling.

Having two couples (both riding Gold Wings pulling Trailers) die on Lolo pass because they were pulling trailers and had a momentary loss of rear tire traction when they rolled over some Granite Dust that had blown down off the hill... Causing them to fishtail right into the path of an oncoming tuck before they could gather it back up and get back in their lane. Two separate incidents within 3 weeks of each other. 4 people needlessly dead (plus one seriously injured driver of a dually truck) all due to pulling a trailer.

Good for you that you have pulled a trailer for thousands of miles successfully. I am sure these dead people and many others said the same thing UNTIL things went wrong and now they are dead.

So Yes... Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle is just great... UNTIL IT ISN'T.

I will continue to warn riders of the folly of it. I do not tell them they can't do it. That is their choice. I do not tell them it can't be done. It is done by many... I will tell them that it doesn't always go as planned and when things go wrong the results can be deadly.

And just so you know I have pulled a trailer with a bike and it only anchors in my mind that it is not a smart thing to do with a motorcycle.

So, you keep telling them how it is safe and I'll keep warning them "... Until it's not"
Same can be said for any vehicle pulling a trailer. You have to weigh the risks, as for people who have NEVER pulled a trailer, thier opinions are just that, opinions with no practicle experience. I use experience. I have alot experience in pulling trailers with almost any and every type of vehicle that has been on the road. So with more than 3 million miles as a commercial driver under my belt and at least a couple hundred thousand 2 wheeled miles to boot, I can say you have to know your limits. They who died , exceeded thiers. They knew the risks, also many perish with no trailer behind them so what about them? It's called experience. If you don't have it, you need it.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote