Thread: GPS for RTW
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I'm thinking of getting a GPS for my motorbike. I've read about the Garmin units and you get what you pay for. I need to justify $600+ for a decent unit. But I'm really just looking for something that is waterproof, has a good way to mount to the bike and a lot of onboard maps of North America, I donít need maps of Europe, Australia, Antarctica, cameras or MP3 players, ect. Just really up to date and accurate American road maps already installed. Garmin has something called Life Time maps, looks like it gets updated up to 4 times a year?

I've looked into RAM mounting hardware, particularly the X Mount for possibly using my cell phone as a GPS. The problem with the cell phone as a navigator is it needs a cell signal for Google Maps to work properly. I know this from riding the PDR last summer in Vermont where there was zero signal in some places, coincidentally right when I needed it the most. I've experimented with an extra cell phone to see if the GPS would work without a data plan, and it does, using an App called My Tracks but not nearly as detailed as one with data or Wifi signals.

I think I read on this site that said, any devoted GPS unit, even a cheaper unit is way better for navigation than a cell phone. I'm just looking for waterproof, lots of American road maps, and a fairly normal way of mounting it to the bike. Does anyone have any recommendations???

Cattledog1969 screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 07:00 PM Reason: Spelling
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote