View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #2058
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
" ... The KLR is really easy to ride off road ... despite rubber covered footpegs, it's really a dirt bike chassis and feels like one".

Editor:
"Not far behind, but much less confidence inspiring, was the Husky."
(refers to ON ROAD behavior)

Jimmy Lewis:
" ... The TR's handling is a bit awkward. The bike has lot of weight on the front wheel and feels unstable at high speed." (Lewis's comment refers to ON ROAD handling, not off road)

Further comments deride the Terra for lack of weather protection and highway capability at speed and short range. They had cold weather and sounds like they'd rather be on Gold Wings than dual sports. The KLR rated high everywhere, a huge surprise to me, having owned one. It out did the Terra every where but in deep sand and more technical rocky tracks.

But remember the theme of this "Comparo" was a sort of ridiculous post apocalyptic theme, with a survivalist tone, IMHO, not a valid way to pick a good dual sport ... but hey, I guess that gets the ratings.

The Terra rated next to last. Here are some final comments:
Just a few more modifications would have vaulted the TR650 into the mix.
"It's a dirtbike wth blinkers and luggage - sort of," said Ziegler. "It was like cheating in the sand and rocks. It's maneurverable and fun and makes a really good dual sport bike, but in this comparison, its on-road shortcomings stood out too much. It's not a survival bike. "

Right......

So in this 'post apocalyptic' theme that favors bikes with better highway handling my only question is-
'Who is going to be maintaining these highways during the apocalypse?'

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote