View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #91
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,549
I built a hack some years ago & got a bit flack about some of the joints in single shear (2 of 4). I ran some numbers based on the material strength and fastener size using very conservative (worst case) numbers everywhere. the worst case scenario was still capable of holding something like a force 5000 pounds. well consider on a 500 pound bike, that is 10Gs.... everybody but a trained fighter pilot would be passing before you pull 10g. and what tires do you have that will hold at that kind of force & not skid. also when doing calculation of acceleraton and/or centrifugal force, people seem to forget that mass & weight are not the same thing (except in outer space).... you get some pretty weird numbers if the units aren't correct, just some thoughts from my experience. anyway, I ran the hack 5 years (winter riding) & sold it... it's still going (3 more years). I sold it because I was going to build a leaner, but got sidetracked on another project. mebby next winter. yours looks pretty nice
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote