View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,839
Initial Impressions

I went to the mailbox this morning and was greeting by the package notification and went to pick up the box. Emblazoned with the Nelson Rigg logo, I was like a kid in a candy store. I mean, who doesn't like to get neat stuff from Canada Post?

As these have been on route, I've continued to shop for luggage. I was mentally preparing myself to be disappointed. I'd considered the Wolfman Adventure Dry Saddlebags and the new Monarch Pass model. Because Mrs. Stain is getting her Motorcycle Endorsement this spring, the necessity for new luggage has increased a bit in order to outfit two bikes.

I unpacked the box and was immediately impressed by the weight of these bags. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have to say, the material is heavy and rolling down the top to make the dry seal takes some effort to make a tight roll. I'm sure this will loosen up over time, but it speaks to the quality of the material used.

With the bags out of the box, both Mrs. Stain and I couldn't believe how big these things were either. Nelson Rigg claims 27.5L capacity. I'm pretty sure its all there too.

All the seams are sealed, and the straps utilize a slider to keep excess strap "tail" from flapping.

Now for some measurements.

Basically, the bags are large. The roll top is great with a nylon ribbing to increase stiffness.

Strap Detail:

Ideally, these bags should be mounted with a rack. There are straps top and bottom to secure the bags to your racks as well and straps that extend from the side to keep them from flapping.

So far, I'm suitably impressed. Between the material weight and the size and the fastening system, these seem to be a good choice.

I have my bikes in storage at the moment and will be up to do some farkling next week. I'll take my Nelson Rigg bags with me and test out the mounting system and post more pics then. In the meantime, if anyone has any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote