View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #124
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
san pedro de atacama, chile - day 2

thursday, march 7, 2013

note: having some issues with flickr, but working on it. if there are photos missing, check back later. i'm fixing them as i see them and have a terse email into flickr about the problem.

it's another perfect, crisp, cloudless day in my little pueblo, san pedro de atacama. the best part of waking up, it coca in your cup… slight headache again this morning. i did attempt a run last night, and after about 1/4 mile i thought i was going to die. in portland, i regularly do 3-6 miles no problem on any random day of the year. my lungs were burning, and for the rest of the night, this morning even, i was still feeling it. some of it could be the pervasive dust, but most of it is the elevation.

for anyone following along, put this town and this general area on your to-do list. the town is great, the food here is great (after another night out and no less than a gourmet meal for 20.00 USD), and the people are super friendly. you could easily spend a week exploring the natural beauty that surrounds the area. accommodating include low-budget backpacker hostels for 10.00/night, luxury resorts for 250.00/night, and everything in between. this entire town is built for tourists, but in a very appropriate and non-offensive way.

rua licancabur 2, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

very long market, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

building at main plaza, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

street at main plaza, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

la plaza hostel & restaurant, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

rua licancabur, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

topacilla intersection, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

deep restaurant, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

another deep restaurant, san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

ventured off to the north this morning to get closer to the volcanos and mountains. opted for another terrible road. i'm chewing up my brand new tires pretty quickly on this stuff, but it's worth it. again, another day of almost no people, but lots of little lama-looking animals (i'll figured out what they are called eventually.)

laguna putana, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the climb to puritama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

getting super high, near cerro sairecabur, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

high plateau, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

volcan apagado, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

volcan apagado in the rear view, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

animales, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the road less traveled, north of san pedro de atacama, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote