View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #7162
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I'm new to routes but have been playing with them in my cage and if I understand you correctly I do think there is at least one way to do what you describe. Of course there may be others but this works for me:

There are 2 keys:
You have to use the Route Planner app itself to edit the route. (Whether you are actively navigating the route or not).
AND
You have to set the Activity Profile of the route to DIRECT in BaseCamp when you transfer it to the Montana.

At least that worked for me. Transfer a Direct route to the Montana then navigate it in an autorouting profile (like Automobile). Then you MUST go into Route Planner then select the route by name. This will bring up the options page (note for a Direct Route you can also select "Reverse Route", kindof handy).
When you select Edit Route then you see the Via Points and Waypoints currently in the route to choose from. Pick one then on the next page you can pick Insert to insert an item before it, for example.

In my experience this simply inserts the new item and does not affect any of the already existing items.

Here is a set of examples from the Montana Wiki that has a series of waypoints for a route:

Route Planner
Snooker, I'll try what you suggest and report back. What you suggest is so counter-intuitive to the way the process has typically worked. I have literally created hundreds and hundreds of navigable routes over the years and all of my Garmins that supported routing allowed me to edit the route on the GPS. But it's not easily done on the Montana (and I'm a big fan of it) unless the route is created on the GPS.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote