View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #22
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
I'll get pics up in a few but I wanted to post some impressions on changing the bars and adding the hand guards:

I wanted more height so I went with an ATV bar (Renthal Yamaha Raptor 80 bend). There’s just enough slack in all the cables and wires to make the swap but I did have to remove the number plate and free up some slack in the wires by removing and re-installing some wire-ties. I also installed Pro Grip 737 gel grips and Cycra Pro Bend hand guards. Turns out the stock bars have plugs welded in the end so changing the bars was a must-do for the hand guards to work. The brake line rubbed on the Cycra inner mount on the left when I first got things bolted up. I re-located one of the brake line guides from the top triple clamp mount to the hand guard mount so the brake line can ride up and down with fork travel without rubbing on the hand guard.

The Raptor 80 bars added about 1.5” vertical lift while matching the other dimensions of the stock bars perfectly. They make standing on the bike perfect for me now. Plus they weigh about half as much as the stockers which should offset the weight penalty of the hand guards.

Next up: Pelican 1200, mini-voltmeter, and some flashing LED lighting to the rear…

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote