View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1877
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I personally think OldRoadToad's comments are valid to this conversation. While HDs are not my thing, they epitomize the success that can be found by playing off of one's heritage. I have to admit to admiring the success that they've experienced by doing so.

Whether or not any of the Japanese makes are capable of cranking out cruisers is not the point here. The fact that Honda has proven that it is capable of digging back into its own past and is able to create something that is new yet still totally in line with its own heritage, and instantly identifiable as such, is the real story here. Whether it will be successful from a sales standpoint remains to be seen.

I would imagine that a similar amount of buzz would be created if other Japanese makes were to tie into some of their respective iconic past achievements. Such as if Kawasaki were to build a true retro Z bike, or Yamaha were to build a retro RD/RZ bike (provided some serious headway was made with direct injection, low-emission 2-stroke engines) for example.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote