View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #83
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
1170 miles in Three Days

I just got back from three days on the road, actually rather boring freeway there and back to attend a family gathering in Georgia. My 2007 is stock with cheap luggage, a Parabellum windshield and handlebar muffs for the cold and the rain. I don't like weather below 70 degrees but needs must and I saw 45 degrees on this trip. In the summer I like to ride from Key West to the mountains, a 12 hour ride and spend a few days riding the twisties. If i get to do that two or three times in a summer its a good year for me, living as I do in very southern, deliciously warm Flatistan.

I used the stock seat for the first 68,000 miles and had Sargeants of Jacksonville re-stuff and a fine job they did. Cruising at 80mph indicated (75mph GPS) reduces mpg to 38 but is quite comfortable. I've done an Iron Butt 1000 and a 1500 on the stock seat. I guess I am unusually resilient in the end , as it were.

I really don't care much about the argument that the Bonneville should be something its not. I like riding it, its easy, it does everthing and its as relaible as any bike you could name. Its cheap to buy cheap to run and easy to modify. Don't like the suspension? there are vendors lined up to sell you bolt on replacements. Want more power? Boost it to 904 ccs or spend $30,000 and get a Hyde Harrier conversion out of the box.

Or if you are like me and prefer to ride, just buy one and ride it. I really don't give a toss about people who walk up and spout off about their old triumphs. I'm glad they get a thrill from seeing it but thats obviously not why I own a retro. Mine is a bit too hard used to be pretty anymore. Not exactly eye candy. I enjoy the retro look but I never wanted to own a Bonneville in the 70s because they were gruesomely unreliable. Riding this style of all purpose bike reminds me of the bikes I used to ride, but I don't expect it to be a replica of anything in particular. The true modern equivalent of the oriinal superbike Bonnie is the Speed Triple.

I would prefer a sportster for the hydraulic valves but you know what? I just love the fat frumpy slow faux Bonneville. I can't help it.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:51 AM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote