View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #5025
Jakhack
Jakhack

Oddometer: 19
Minnesota Winter Riding

I have been alternating for my winter riding between the BMW K1200LT/Motorvation Formula II rig on the right and the KLR650/Velorex 562 on the left. The Suzuki GS1100GK in the back with the Friendship sidecar is my son's and in for a paint job on the chair.

I went on a short winter ride of about 200 miles on the BMW K1200LT last January, which was relatively mild in Minnesota this year. With the heated grips, heated seat, and great windshield/fairing protection, it is a good winter ride. Except for poor traction with the street tires. But that was remedied by using the black rubber stretchy cords for temporary chains. Someone else suggested using the heavy duty cable ties that are very strong and about 1/2 inch wide. I will try that next.

But my preferred winter ride is the KLR, which I have modified since the photo last month. I added a Madstad oversize windshield, some Moose
ATV handlebar muffs and heated grips. The windshield worked great with good coverage and was adjustable till I had no buffeting. The Moose covers worked so well, I usually rode with bare hands on the heated grips, which were toasty warm down to about zero. I used this rig for most of my commuting and errands all winter.

We had some warm days last week so I thought Spring was springing, but two snows recently, with another on the way next week, means that will probably be delayed until April. In the meantime, I will get some more KLR riding in on the fresh snow.

Jakhack
Jakhack is offline   Reply With Quote